Rangers have no choice but to move on from Ryan Kent, according to manager Steven Gerrard.
The Glasgow side were desperate to get the Liverpool winger back following an impressive loan stint last season.
Jurgen Klopp has insisted that Kent would only be leaving the club on a permanent basis this summer – with the finances involved beyond Rangers’ reach.
“I haven’t asked that question (to the board) but I think the answer would probably be yes,” said Gerrard as he admitted the figures required to sign Kent would be too rich for his side.
“Jurgen has come out and given the answer that will come out of my mouth anyway. It has been addressed and we move on.
“The end of it? Where we are right now, yes. We respect Liverpool’s stance and we thank them very much for allowing us to work with Ryan for a year.
“We have obviously got a Liverpool player at the moment in Sheyi Ojo who has started very well. I had a good conversation on the phone with Jurgen a few days ago and we totally respect Liverpool’s position on it.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week
Crusaders vs Wolves (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
Luton vs Middlesbrough (Friday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT
Salford City vs Stevenage (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
Brentford vs Birmingham (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
Nottingham Forest vs West Brom (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
Manchester City vs Liverpool (Sunday, 3pm) – talkSPORT
Bristol City vs Leeds United (Sunday, 4:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
“It is possible we still might get one more player in, but there is no rush. The squad is in a decent place so we will go with what we have at the moment.
“If something was to come up that makes us better and we think it will make us better then we will take it to the board and the answer will be with them.”
Reports on Thursday claimed striker Alfredo Morelos had decided against a move to Hebei Fortune despite the Chinese Super League outfit having been prepared to meet Rangers’ £15million valuation.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Liverpool transfer news live: Klopp unsure on Wilson future after wonder goal
Arsenal to complete Nicolas Pepe signing in 'next 24 hours'
Man United transfer news live: Dybala-Lukaku swap 'as good as done', Maguire latest
Lille chief confirms Pepe to Arsenal, Pochettino sparks Spurs fears, Dybala latest
Arsenal news: Lille president confirms Pepe deal, shock Spurs suggestion
Wonderkid Harvey Elliott dubbed 'the next Messi' after impressing in friendly
Pochettino 'has had enough' at Spurs, says former midfielder
pretenders to contenders
How Man United could look against Chelsea with Dybala and £90m ace
It was claimed a £30million, three-year package had been put on the table before the Colombian turned it down.
But Gerrard responded to the story by saying: “I’m unaware of it. There have been no bids. It is as you were from the last time. I’m not sure whether he is going to do the interview for you, though.”
Organisers of the August 12-18 race today released preliminary team rosters, and EF Education First's offering makes it clear the US WorldTour team wants to recapture the streak of three wins that ended in 2015 with Joe Dombrowki's overall victory.
Dombrowski will return this year along with Lachlan Morton, who won the race in 2016 with Jelly Belly. The team will also field Colombian time trial champion and climber Dani Martinez, US road champion Alex Howes, Lawson Craddock and James Whelan.
Rob Britton, who won the overall in 2017, will return with Rally UHC Cycling to make another run at the Utah crown, joined on the provisional roster by climbing talents Gavin Mannion, Kyle Murphy and Emerson Oronte. Evan Huffman, Ty Magner and Nihgel Ellsay will be able helpers for Britton's quest.
Trek-Segafredo, the only other WorldTour team at this year's race, will feature Giulio Ciccone, the young Italian who finished second on stage 2 of the Tour de France and wore yellow for two days. Ciccone will have the support of Americans Kiel Reijnen and Peter Stetina on Trek's seven-rider roster.
Israel Cycling Academy's Ben Hermans will be the only rider returning from the 2018 podium, as winner Sepp Kuss (Jumbo-Visma) and Jack Haig (Mitchelton-Scott) are likely aimed at the Vuelta a España that starts August 24.
"I was working on earthworks at home with my tractor with a machine behind it," Teuns told Het Nieuwsblad. "The machine suddenly stopped working due to a technical defect. That also brought the tractor to a halt. Because of that sudden stop I hit my head on the wheel. Next week's training in preparation for the Vuelta is not normally compromised."
The team reported that Teuns required 15 stitches in his forehead.
"Due to this and bashed up face, unfortunately, he will miss the upcoming Clasica San Sebastian," the team stated.
Teuns was slated to lead Bahrain-Merida at the WorldTour race following his successful Tour de France. The team has not yet named a replacement for the 27-year-old. Valerio Agnoli, Grega Bole, Damiano Caruso, Andrea Garosio, Antonio Nibali and Mark Padun are listed by the race on the provisional roster.
Organisers of the 2019 UCI Road World Championships in Yorkshire this September could be forced to alter the elite men's road race after a bridge collapsed on the circuit due to flood waters. The Guardian reported Wednesday that Grinton Moor Bridge had collapsed and left the road impassable.
Eight days of racing at the Yorkshire World Championships will begin September 22 and conclude Sunday, September 29, with the elite men's road race.
The men's 285km contest starts in Leeds and begins with one large loop of about 180km that covers climbs over Cray Summit (64km), Buttertubs Summit (100km), and Grinton Moor Summit (154km) before returning to Harrorgate for seven laps of a technical 13km finishing circuit.
The peloton was expected to ride over the Grinton Moor Bridge [which crosses the River Swale] at roughly 120km into the race, just before entering the small village of Grinton. The Swaledale Mountain Rescue Team released images of the Grinton Moor Bridge after it collapsed due to flood waters. The images show a gaping hole across the entire width of the bridge and the wall on the right side almost completely gone. More recent photos, however, show the entire bridge had been swept away by the fast-flowing river.
TheGuardian reported that organisers of the Yorkshire World Championships are scheduled to visit the area on Wednesday to evaluate the damage but said the priority was placed on residents in the area.
"At the current time, our thoughts are with those affected by the flooding. We will address any damage to race routes with North Yorkshire county council in due course," said Andy Hindley, Chief Executive of Yorkshire 2019.
Here is a round-up of the best of today’s boxing news…
Dillian Whyte provisionally suspended by WBC
The sanctioning body’s statement read: “A sample UKAD collected from Mr Dillian Whyte in relation with his bout against Oscar Rivas yielded an adverse finding.
“In light of that adverse finding, and pending the outcome of the WBC’s own investigation and adjudicatory process, the WBC is provisionally suspending the WBC’s recognition of Dillian Whyte as WBC interim world heavyweight champion and mandatory challenger of the division.
“The WBC has notified Mr Whyte and his team of the WBC’s suspension and that it will afford Mr Whyte the opportunity to present its position to the WBC at an investigative hearing which will take place at a place and time to be announced in the near future.
“Throughout its investigation and hearing, the WBC will afford Mr Whyte and his team the opportunity to present any available information and materials, and any exculpatory evidence they might deem appropriate.”
Eddie Hearn: I don’t believe Dillian Whyte has cheated, but if he’s guilty he should be banned
Hearn has exclusively told talkSPORT that he does not believe Whyte has cheated despite testing positive for a banned substance.
The promoter stated to talkSPORT’s Nick Peet: “If he’s found to be innocent, completely innocent, which right now you can’t say he’s not, then great.
“If he’s found to be guilty and he has done something wrong, which in my heart of hearts I don’t believe so, then he should be banned from the sport.
“Anybody that cheats in the sport of boxing should be.”
Canelo reportedly closing in on fight with Ukrainian mandatory
Canelo Alvarez vs Sergiy Derevyanchenko is reportedly now being finalised for Canelo’s next fight.
The unified middleweight champion was in talks to move up and challenge Sergey Kovalev for his light-heavyweight crown, but that bout could not be made and so he will instead defend against the mandatory challenger.
The stumbling block for this was initially the fact that Canelo’s US broadcaster DAZN were reluctant to approve little-known Derevyanchenko as an opponent for their star man, however according to ESPN, they have now done so.
It’s understood that the potential dates are October 19 and October 26 – with Canelo having already moved off his traditional September date for this year.
Hughie Fury vs Alexander Povetkin officially announced
Fury will face Povetkin on the undercard of Vasyl Lomachenko vs Luke Campbell, it was officially announced on Wednesday.
The 24-year-old heavyweight signed with Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom last week and is being thrown straight into the deep end with a top class heavyweight.
“I’m over the moon with this news,” said Fury, “I can’t wait. These are the kind of fights I want to be in.
“Povetkin is a dangerous man. You can’t take anything away from that. He’s not been where he’s been for nothing. It’s a very serious fight but I’m confident of getting the win on the night.”
Manchester United fans have called on the Glazer family and Ed Woodward to do serious business throughout the transfer window and they could be about to get their wish.
Having signed Daniel James and Aaron Wan-Bissaka at the start of the summer for a combined fee of £65million, the Red Devils looked set to make a serious charge in the market.
Progress slowed as other targets were linked, but rumours failed to materialise into anything more. However, according to reports, this could all change before their opening Premier League fixture against Chelsea.
Reports broke late on Tuesday night suggesting United were locked in talks with representatives of Paulo Dybala in London about a possible swap deal involving Romelu Lukaku.
The Belgium striker is not going to be the main man at Old Trafford and wants a move to Serie A.
Juve, meanwhile, are prepared to let Dybala leave because Cristiano Ronaldo is once again going to be the focal point in Turin.
With the transfer window slamming shut on Thursday August 8, just days before the opening game against Europa League holders Chelsea on the Sunday, United know they must act quickly.
But how could the Red Devils look for that home clash against the Blues? talkSPORT.com has examined the possible formations and tactical switch Solskjaer could implement, scroll down to see them all.
LATEST FOOTBALL STORIES
Nicolas Pepe once revealed the only PL club he would join but it's not Arsenal
Liverpool transfer news live: Bournemouth want Wilson, starlet signs new deal
Dybala to Man United latest, Pepe set to join Arsenal, Pochettino drops Spurs claim
p***** off poch
Pochettino is 'frustrated' but will not leave Spurs, talkSPORT told
Chelsea vs RB Salzburg stream: How to watch friendly plus kick-off time and team news
Arsenal vs Angers live stream: How to watch friendly plus kick-off time and team news
Liverpool vs Lyon live stream: How to watch clash plus kick-off time and team news
'Unjustified stain' - Forestieri reacts after six-match ban for racist language
LET ME GO
Koscielny remains determined to leave Arsenal this summer
Man United transfer news live: Dybala's demands, Barca ace wanted, £46m bid planned
Jim White transfer round-up: Dybala's Man United demands, Bundesliga ace to Everton?
'He'll be out' - ex-United winger says Solskjaer must win trophies to keep his job
Option 1) 4-4-1-1
At Juventus, the prestige of wearing the No.10 shirt brings with it a sense of expectation and pressure afforded to a select few. Michel Platini, Alessandro Del Piero and Paul Pogba himself have all thrived with the famous digit on their back.
The current holder, Dybala, has also excelled in the No.10 shirt and it reflects his preferred position on the pitch. Playing just off of a main striker, the Argentine does his best work when given space around the penalty area.
If Lukaku is gone, Marcus Rashford will be the main man up front and his pace can pull defences apart and create holes which Dybala has more than enough talent to exploit.
With Daniel James and Anthony Martial on the flanks, United would possess searing pace out wide and have the option to be more versatile. The Wales international has the capacity to play on either flank, while Martial and Rashford can also operate from the left.
The longer the transfer window drags on, the more likely it seem Paul Pogba will remain at Old Trafford. He can occasionally join the attack and link up with the frontmen with the security of Nemanja Matic anchoring the midfield.
Option 2) 4-3-3
With Harry Maguire occupying the left hand side of the defence, United would have a really nice balance with Victor Lindelof on the right hand side. The Sweden international has continued to develop at Old Trafford and could become a key player for the Red Devils.
The duo are solid, meaning full backs Wan-Bissaka and Luke Shaw can overlap at will, which works best with inverted forwards. With Dybala on the right, cutting in on his left and Martial doing the same on the opposite side, there would be considerable amounts of space on the flanks.
But the only downfall to this situation could be the right-back’s lack of end product. Although defensively superb, the £50m man can struggle to beat a man or find a killer cross.
In this situation, Solskjaer could turn to the more attack-minded Diogo Dalot, who even filled in as a right winger last season.
In midfield, Scott McTominay will surely get game time as he impressed the Norwegian with his performances towards the end of last season and his box-to-box play suits a 4-3-3 formation perfectly.
Option 3) 4-2-3-1
A slight variation on the 4-4-1-1 listed earlier, United could grant Pogba the extra freedom in a more advanced role, allowing him to be more of an influence in the opposition box.
His link up play with Dybala in the 2015/16 season at Juventus was superb, as the duo helped the Bianconeri secured a Serie A and Coppa Italia double.
Juventus in 2015/2016:
most take-ons: Paul Pogba (102) Paulo Dybala (92)
most chances created: Paulo Dybala (73) Paul Pogba (54)
most goal involvements: Paulo Dybala (28) Paul Pogba (20)
The interlinking play and attacking possibilities for United next season are limitless with these two together and fans could finally get to see Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial also rekindle their deadly partnership from the same season.
With McTominay and Matic played deeper in midfield, the full backs can push on as with the 4-3-3 suggested earlier, but this is where fans could see the best of Maguire.
At Leicester and with England, the 27-year-old is at his best when he knows he has midfielders who can drop deep and cover him when he brings the ball out of defence.
For the Foxes it was Wilfred Ndidi and for the Three Lions it was Jordan Henderson. Now, he has Matic and McTominay capable of dropping into the back line to cover the ball-playing centre-half as he charges up the pitch.
Option 4) 4-4-2
A stickler for tradition, Solskjaer reintroduced club suits for Manchester United squad members pre-game and even invited Sir Alex Ferguson to give motivational speeches.
It would perhaps be fitting to revert then to the Red Devils’ swashbuckling 4-4-2 formation for his first full season in charge to bring excitement back to the masses at Old Trafford.
Make no mistake, this is not a rigid formation – Atletico Madrid proved that in the early years under Diego Simeone. When attacking, it can be augmented to almost form a 4-3-3 formation, with James supporting for a wide position and Pogba cutting inside to play centrally.
While it is not yet exactly clear how Dybala will fit in at United, the point to take away is the Red Devils are more versatile and more dangerous IFthey can complete this sensational deal.
Saturday is GameDay on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2 as we become your go to destination for all the Premier League action.
We’ll bring you LIVE commentary of Premier League games across all three time slots on Saturday – 12.30pm, 3pm and 5.30pm – delivering award-winning coverage to more GameDay listeners than ever.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.