Lennox Lewis blames Eddie Hearn’s ‘bad decisions’ for leaving Anthony Joshua ‘out in the cold’

15 Feb

Lennox Lewis has expressed his disappointment at Anthony Joshua’s fight against Jarrell Miller.

Britain’s WBA, WBO and IBF champion Joshua will defend his titles against the American at Madison Square Garden, New York on June 1, it was announced this week.

Anthony Joshua will fight in America for the first time this summer

Miller is unbeaten in 24 fights and ranked highly in the heavyweight division but former undisputed king Lewis says ‘Big Baby’ doesn’t stand a chance against AJ.

He told SunSport: “I am with everybody else in this case, I wanted to see a better fight.

“When Anthony came to America last year and Miller came up and crashed his press conference, I thought that was big set-up and I was not fooled by it.

“I have only seen Miller fight once but I guess it’s the easy sort of fight they want to have in America and then go home.


PROFILE: Who is Jarrell Miller? All you need to know about Anthony Joshua’s next opponent on June 1 in New York


“It’s not really a fight that will test Anthony.

“Miller is just an up-and-coming heavyweight who is trying to make himself known to the world.

“But no one really knows him in America and they don’t know him too well in England either.”

Jarrell Miller weighs in at over 300lbs

Joshua had been hoping for a unification showdown against Deontay WIlder, the WBC belt holder, at Wembley on April 13 and blamed ‘boxing politics’ for preventing it from happening.

But Lewis has little sympathy for the 29-year-old, and claims ‘bad decisions’ from his promoter Eddie Hearn have cost Joshua the fight against his fellow champ.

After lengthy talks over a fight with Joshua last year failed to result in an agreement, WIlder went on to face Tyson Fury in December and, following their thrilling draw, the two men are set to go head-to-head again in 2019.

Lewis said: “I don’t think it was complicated to make the Wilder fight, they were in the best spot possible to dictate exactly what they wanted.

“They cannot cry over spilled milk and say ‘oh I wish I could have got the fight’.

“They could have got the fight but they did not take advantage of their position. It’s a situation where they have to know what is going on in their business.

“The fact Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury are going to fight again has got everyone excited, they want to see that match-up and that has left Anthony Joshua out in the cold and it’s just down to bad decisions from his promoter.”

Anthony Joshua: Boxing legend Lennox Lewis tells heavyweight king to stop chasing the money and ‘act like a champion’

19 Nov

Lennox Lewis has told Anthony Joshua to stop chasing money.

The former undisputed heavyweight star believes AJ is avoiding a fight against Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder to go after easy pay-days and he warns that could prove to be the 29-year-old’s downfall.

Anthony Joshua has yet to announce his next opponent

Lewis, one of Britain and the world’s greatest ever heavyweights, told Boxing Scene: “Joshua can take his time. He’s champion now. He says he doesn’t want to fight Tyson Fury for a year or so.

“He wants to go around making money. I think that’s going to be a downfall for him. He has to stay with it, he can’t be in the background.

“If he wants to be champion, he has to act like a champion.”

Joshua has won all 22 of his professional fights and holds three of the four major titles (IBF, WBA and WBO) in the heavyweight division.

He knocked out Alexander Povetkin in his last bout in September and is due to fight again on April 13 at Wembley, with his opponent not yet confirmed.

Anthony Joshua sends Alexander Povetkin sprawling in their Wembley showcase

Wilder, the WBC champion, is the man seemingly everyone wants him to face but he first must negotiate a tough challenge in December against Joshua’s fellow countryman, Fury.

The pair will clash in Los Angeles at the start of the month and Lewis admits he can’t call the winner.

Fury is the former heavyweight world champion, having stunned Wladimir Klitschko in 2015, but was inactive for more than two years before making his return to the ring earlier this year.

He has never tasted defeat in his pro career, while American Wilder has won all 40 of his fights, 39 by knockout.

Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury will meet in LA on December 1

Lewis said: “Wilder is a different kettle of fish; I don’t think Klitschko expected Tyson Fury to be so active, so elusive in their fight.

“He didn’t expect Fury to move so much. I think Deontay will be expecting that. And I think he’ll move with him. It’s completely different,” Lewis added.

“Deontay has a lot of power, anywhere he hits you, you’re going to be concussed. If he can’t knock out Fury, he better be prepared to box.

“Tyson Fury is fast on his feet, elusive. We’ll see if Deontay can catch up with him.

“It’s such a hard fight to predict. Both guys have talent and both have power. We’re not going to know what happens until we see the fight.”

“The way I look at it, these are two great fighters putting it all on the line,” Lewis said. “All the experience they gain from that fight, they will bring to the next fight.”