Formula One: New deal agreed to keep Azerbaijan Grand Prix in Baku until 2023

5 Feb

Azerbaijan will host a Grand Prix until at least 2023 as Formula One announced a three-year extension to the existing deal on Tuesday.

The race on the streets of Baku was due to expire next season, but an agreement has been reached to keep the Grand Prix until 2023.

Azerbaijan, a race put together by former supremo Bernie Ecclestone, made its F1 debut in 2017. It is understood to pay the highest fee on the calendar, estimated to be in the region of £45million-a-year.

Last season’s race was won by Lewis Hamilton.

“In just a short space of time, this race has become one of the most popular of the season, always producing closely fought and spectacular racing,” said F1 chairman Chase Carey.

The announcement comes after Carey met with a number of disgruntled race promoters in London last week.

Silverstone, which hosts the British Grand Prix, is one of five races up for renewal this season. The others are Monza, Hockenheim, Barcelona and Mexico City.

Ahead of the summit, the Formula One Promoters’ Association issued a deeply disapproving statement about how the sport was being run.

Following the day-long summit, Stuart Pringle, chairman for FOPA and Silverstone managing director, said there was “a basis for a discussion going forward”.