Cliftonville have terminated Jay Donnelly’s contract after the striker was sentenced to three months in prison.
The footballer was jailed for distributing an indecent image of a child after they had sex in June 2016.
The 16-year-old girl was seen wearing a Cliftonville shirt with Donnelly’s name on it.
He sent the image to a friend and other footballers on WhatsApp before it was leaked on social media.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Donnelly had been on bail pending the outcome of his original sentence, which was reduced from four months to three on Tuesday.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...
- Slavia Prague vs Chelsea (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Southampton vs Wolves (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester United vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Wigan vs Norwich (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester City (Sunday, 2:05pm) – talkSPORT
The 24-year-old, of Ardilea Drive in north Belfast, pleaded guilty to the charge in November, and Cliftonville had been criticised for not sacking him earlier.
On Thursday, a club statement said: “Cliftonville Football Club can confirm that Jay Donnelly has had his contract terminated with immediate effect, following the conclusion of our Disciplinary proceedings.”