Newcastle defender Florian Lejeune has been ruled out for the rest of the season after sustaining a knee injury against Crystal Palace on Saturday.
The Frenchman came off on a stretcher in the second-half of the 1-0 loss at St James’ Park and the Magpies said in a statement on Monday the centre-back had suffered a ‘significant’ injury to his left knee.
Lejeune did not make his first appearance of 2018/19 until January having injured his other knee during pre-season.
Newcastle said: “Lejeune has been ruled out for the remainder of the current season and further updates on his recovery will be provided in due course.”
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Lejeune has started all 12 of the Tyneside outfit’s Premier League games since returning to action in an FA Cup tie against Blackburn.
The 27-year-old joined Newcastle from Eibar in the summer of 2017.
Meanwhile, DeAndre Yedlin has urged Newcastle to put the disappointment of a missed opportunity behind them to belatedly secure their Premier League future.
LIVE ON talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up on talkSPORT and talkSPORT 2...
- Preston vs Leeds (Tuesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Birmingham vs Sheffield United (Wednesday, 7:45pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Slavia Prague vs Chelsea (Thursday, 8pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Manchester United vs West Ham (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT
- Leeds vs Sheffield Wednesday (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Wigan vs Norwich (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
- Crystal Palace vs Manchester City (Sunday, 2:05pm) – talkSPORT
The Magpies went into Saturday’s clash with Crystal Palace looking for a sixth successive home victory which would have taken them to 38 points and effective safety, but ultimately emerged on the wrong end of a 1-0 scoreline.
He said: “We have to move on as quickly as possible, that’s the motive. We have to focus on the next game.
“We are quite close to safety now.”