The MCC has slammed Ravi Ashwin’s controversial run-out of England star Jos Buttler, stating it was not ‘within the spirit of the game’.
Bowler Ashwin ran Buttler out during an Indian Premier League match between Kings XI Punjab and Rajasthan Royals on Monday, removing the bails after he pulled out of a delivery as Buttler backed up.
The type of dismissal is known as a ‘Mankad’ after the former India all-rounder Vinoo Mankad did it in a Test match against Australia 72 years ago.
Cricket’s law-making body had earlier directed more of the criticism towards Buttler than Ashwin, by saying he should’ve remained in his ground, but they appear to have made a dramatic U-turn on the incident.
The MCC’s laws manager Fraser Stewart has now looked again at the footage, and he told the Daily Telegraph: “Having extensively reviewed the incident again and after further reflection we don’t think it was within the spirit of the game.
LATEST SPORT NEWS
Harry Kane expresses 'real desire' to play in the NFL one day
YES HE CAM
Marcus North backs Cameron Bancroft to be good captain for Durham
WrestleMania 35: the full rumoured card right now
Charlotte Flair wins the WWE SmackDown Live Women's title in huge shock before WM35
Sharing is caring
Dana White appears to reveal why Conor McGregor has retired from UFC
WWE gossip column: Rob Gronkowski to the WWE, leaked Survivor Series match
Tyson Fury trainer reveals which fight is most likely next: Joshua or Wilder
Khan warns Crawford of ‘big shock’ if he overlooks him for future super fight
“We believe the pause was too long between the time Ashwin reached the crease and the moment it was reasonable to expect the ball would be delivered.
“When Buttler could have reasonably expected the ball to be delivered, he was in his ground.
“It is also unfair, and against the Spirit of Cricket, for non-strikers to leave their ground too early. All these debates wouldn’t be necessary if non-strikers remained in their ground until the ball is on its way down the pitch.”
Smith has already been banned from the fourth Test, which begins on Friday, by the International Cricket Council after admitting trying to change the condition of the ball.
The scandal came to light on Saturday after Cameron Bancroft was caught on camera hiding sticky tape, which he had used to manipulate the ball with debris from the pitch, down his trousers.
Smith will be replaced as Royals captain by Ajinkya Rahane.
Royals head of cricket Zubin Bharucha said: “The incident in Cape Town has certainly disturbed the cricket world.
“Steve believes given the current circumstances, ‘It’s in the best interest of the Rajasthan Royals that he steps down as captain so the team can get ready for the start of the IPL without the ongoing distractions’.”
Co-owner Manoj Badale said: “Rajasthan Royals will do everything possible to protect the values and the integrity of the game.
“We agree with Steve’s decision to step down as captain, and we are fortunate to have such a capable successor with Ajinkya Rahane.
“It is important that all cricket fans retain a balanced perspective on the situation. What happened in South Africa was clearly wrong, especially given that it appears to have been premeditated.
“That said, this will be a difficult time for Steve as well, given how much he cares about the game.”
Cricket Australia (CA) is conducting an investigation “as a matter of urgency”.
Chief executive James Sutherland is due to arrive in South Africa on Tuesday, while head of integrity Iain Roy and Pat Howard, head of team performance, are also due to land in Cape Town.
Sutherland said: “We know Australians want answers and we will keep you updated on our findings and next steps, as a matter of urgency.”
The affair has reached a high level with Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull calling on CA to take “decisive action”.
Questions are also being asked as to how long such malpractice has been going on and whether England might have suffered during last winter’s Ashes series.
Social media footage emerged on Sunday showing Bancroft appearing to put sugar in his pocket during a break in play on day two of the final Ashes Test in Sydney.
CA did not comment when asked if that incident and the series, which England lost 4-0, would be reviewed.
England bowler Stuart Broad, speaking on Sunday, said he had no reason to suspect Australia employed illegal tactics against them, but was struggling to work out why they have chosen to do so in South Africa.
CA also clarified that all of the Australia Test squad were currently in South Africa to help with the investigation after there had been reports that Smith had flown home.
A statement read: “Cricket Australia can confirm that all members of the touring Test squad currently remain in South Africa.
“At this stage, players will remain in South Africa to assist CA with inquiries.”
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.