Billy Kee is undergoing treatment for depression, anxiety and bulimia, Accrington Stanley have announced.
The striker has not played during the current campaign and did not report back for pre-season training over the summer due to ‘personal reasons’.
The 28-year-old has spoken openly in the past about his struggles and on Tuesday Accrington released a statement explaining his absence.
“Billy Kee would like to thank everyone for their ongoing messages of support as he battles depression, anxiety and bulimia,” said the League One club on their official website.
“The striker has spoken out over the years about his ongoing issues but over the summer he has deteriorated and has been unable to return to play football for the Reds this season.
“He is currently under specialist treatment and the club is doing what it can to support Billy, who has been an integral part of the side both on and off the pitch for a number of years.”
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Inter Milan release retro Nike 3rd kit inspired by Ronaldo and it is class
Arsenal legend explains one major mistake the club made this summer
kick it out
'My mum was in tears' - Chelsea star opens up on effects of racial abuse
'Absolute joke' - Fans fume after seeing Liverpool forward's FIFA 20 rating
Fans stunned as 'child' caught smoking at game turns out to be 36-year-old father
Spurs release statement confirming Giovani Lo Celso injury blow
Hudson-Odoi close to new Chelsea deal and three other youngsters to be rewarded
ROO THE BOSS
Michael Owen says management 'was always the next step' for Wayne Rooney
Kee, who started his career at Leicester, rejoined Accrington for a second spell in the summer of 2015 having spent time on loan with Stanley during the 2009/10 season.
Kee’s wife tweeted her thanks for all the messages of support her and her husband have received.
She said: “On behalf of my husband I would personally like to thank everyone for their well wishes and lovely messages to Billy I will pass all these on.
“I will keep you all as updated as I can. Thank you again for your understanding at this difficult time.”
On behalf of my husband I would personally like to thank everyone for their well wishes and lovely messages to Billy I will pass all these on. I will keep you all as updated as I can. Thank you again for your understanding at this difficult time @ASFCofficialhttps://t.co/KB88MEaplw
Stevenage have sacked Dino Maamria as manager and placed former England women’s coach Mark Sampson in caretaker charge.
The League Two side are without a win this season, drawing three and losing four of their opening seven games.
Maarmia had served as a player, coach and assistant manager at Stevenage before being appointed boss in March 2018.
A statement from the club read: “Following a strong run of results at the end of the 2018/19 season, where Stevenage finished the season in 10th place with six wins from the final seven games, missing the play-offs by one point, the club have not recorded a win so far this season and currently sit 23rd place in League Two.
“Mark Sampson will assume control of the team in a caretaker role, assisted by newly appointed U18 manager Alex Revell, until further notice.”
Sampson joined Maamria’s coaching staff in the summer, in his first job since leaving the England role.
The 36-year-old was sacked by the Football Association in September 2017 following the emergence of “inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour” in his previous role as manager at Bristol Academy.
He was dismissed one day after England beat Russia 6-0 following a previous safeguarding investigation into his time at Bristol, where he had a six-month relationship with a player aged over 18.
Sampson had also been the focus of bullying and racism claims, first made by Eni Aluko and then Drew Spence.
The FA said the allegations were investigated and Sampson was cleared of any wrongdoing.
But Sampson, who reached a financial settlement with the FA over his dismissal in January of this year, conceded he should have handled the claims differently, saying it would always be a “big regret” and apologising unreservedly to the two players.
The Premier League’s top clubs are set to join this season’s Carabao Cup in the third round.
Manchester City beat Chelsea at Wembley back in February to win the cup last term and are now set to join the competition.
The likes of Norwich, Crystal Palace, Leeds and Fulham exited the cup in the second round.
Now Crawley, Colchester and Oxford will be dreaming of landing a glamour tie in the next round.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Who is Bobby Duncan? Gerrard's cousin being 'destroyed by bullies' at Liverpool
What Henderson did against Arsenal that proved how vital he is to Liverpool
still good enough
What Zlatan Ibrahimovic said about playing for Manchester United again
Barcelona confident of agreeing Neymar deal 'in matter of hours'
Chelsea star set for deserved call up to England squad after excellent form
Liverpool starlet's agent makes bullying claim, Bury player forced to sell house
dunc wants out
Liverpool accused of 'destroying' player's life in explosive statement
Keogh leaves City Ground swearing after alleged scuffle with Forest staff
Vandals target Pogba with graffiti message at Man United training ground
‘TIL THIS DAY
Paul Pogba sends message in response to racism after meeting Deontay Wilder
Ex-Premier League ref thinks Old Trafford could help Bury and Bolton staff get paid
Alex from Glastonbury meets Thiago Silva and has shirt signed by PSG star
Carabao Cup draw: Date and start time
The draw for round one of this season’s tournament was held at a Morrisons supermarket early this summer but tonight’s draw will be more traditional.
It will take place on Wednesday, August 28 and will be held pitch-side at Sincil Bank after Lincoln City’s clash with Everton.
It should begin at around 9.45pm but will be later should the match go to penalties.
Carabao Cup draw: TV channel and live stream
The second round clash between the Imps and the Toffees is live on Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Main Event tonight.
The draw will follow immediately afterwards on these channels at the conclusion of the match.
Sky customers can follow it via their app and website or fans can get a NOW TV pass to watch the draw live.
Carabao Cup third round draw numbers
Seven ties to be played Wednesday, August 28 – Grimsby Town vs Macclesfield Town to be rescheduled after waterlogged pitch
4 Manchester City
5 Manchester United
6 Tottenham Hotspur
7 Wolverhampton Wanderers
9 Crawley Town
10 West Ham United
11 Oxford United
13 Swansea City / Cambridge United
14 Luton Town
15 Brighton & Hove Albion
16 Colchester United
18 AFC Bournemouth / Forest Green Rovers
19 Milton Keynes Dons
20 Queens Park Rangers / Portsmouth
21 Aston Villa
22 Lincoln City / Everton
23 Stoke City
24 Sheffield United
25 Rotherham United / Sheffield Wednesday
26 Newcastle United / Leicester City
27 Burton Albion
28 Burnley / Sunderland
29 Nottingham Forest
30 Grimsby Town / Macclesfield Town
31 Preston North End
Campbell, who won two Premier League titles with the Gunners, saved Macclesfield from relegation last season after taking over with the strugglers bottom of the fourth tier.
Despite his on-field success, Macclesfield players have been fighting against unpaid wages over the summer.
Ex-Chelsea ace Cascarino told talkSPORT’s Weekend Sports Breakfast: “Sol could probably do a book on what’s happened in the last year as being manager and going to Macclesfield Town.
“Going down to that level, I’ve always said if you go to that level, be prepared to know as much as you can and employ people around you that know that level brilliantly – that gives you a chance.
“Sol, he was never onto a winner going to Macclesfield Town, especially with their circumstances off the field.
LIVE on talkSPORT
talkSPORT is your home of live football! Here's what's coming up this week...
Arsenal vs Burnley (Saturday, 12.30pm) – talkSPORT
Sunderland vs Portsmouth (Saturday, 12.30pm) – talkSPORT 2
Norwich City vs Newcastle United (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2
Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur (Saturday, 5.30pm) – talkSPORT
Reading vs Cardiff City (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2
“To keep them up was pretty much a minor miracle. I’ve lauded Phil Parkinson at Bolton when he got promoted when he was under a [transfer] embargo.
“He went down and he’s still their manager. He’s in a similar situation [to Campbell], imagine coming in here and none of us have been paid and we’re having to do a show.”
A run of just two defeats from Macclesfield’s final 10 games saw the club avoid relegation under Campbell’s guidance.
And his departure could once again threaten the Silkmen’s Football League status.
Cascarino added: “Sol had only lost two of his last 10 games. So when I heard the news midweek, and it was apparently by both parties mutual consent, I was stunned with the circumstances that Sol had thrown himself into.
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
Man City v Tottenham live: Full talkSPORT commentary for Premier League blockbuster
Sunderland v Portsmouth live: talkSPORT commentary and team news for League One tie
Forget Pepe, Arsenal fans told to brace themselves for 'special' Ceballos
Arsenal vs Burnley LIVE updates: Team news and action from Premier League clash
Arsenal summer signings to be unleashed from the start - but Pepe forced to wait
Raring to go
How Arsenal new boy Pepe saved old club from relegation as a teenager
Shaqiri drops Liverpool exit hint amid 'disappointment' over playing time
Norwich vs Newcastle commentary plus updates from Liverpool, Everton and West Ham
Spurs will struggle without their ‘most important player’ against Man City
Veteran striker Aritz Aduriz stuns Barcelona with incredible overhead kick
“He’s a wealthy boy, he would have made a lot of money, he’s given himself a chance to be a manager.
“I can’t imagine going into training every day, keeping the team, trying to bring in new people in the summer, not getting paid and having players at that level, because I’ve been there, players that can’t afford to pay their mortgages, having to deal with no wages.
“Okay, the PFA [Professional Footballers’ Association] will step in, [but] I was thinking how tough Sol’s job would have been off the field.”
Sol Campbell has parted company with Macclesfield by mutual consent following eight months in charge of the League Two club.
The 44-year-old’s departure comes just two games into the new season, with the Silkmen sitting eighth on three points having beaten Leyton Orient 3-0 on Saturday.
He becomes the first manager in any of England’s top four divisions to leave his post this season.
“Macclesfield Town provided me with a great beginning in the managerial side of the game, as well as a fantastic learning curve which I am truly grateful for,” said the former England defender.
“I would like to thank all the players and staff for their support during my time at the Moss Rose and also all the loyal fans, whose belief at the end of last season ultimately played a tangible role in our success.”
LATEST FOOTBALL NEWS
DAVID VS GOLIATH
Kante hilariously proves no job is too big for him as he marks Van Dijk
Crouch on Berahino and Liverpool, Super Cup reaction, Campbell exits Macclesfield
Jorginho's kit gaffe is nothing compared to the Spurs error that led to sackings
'Man United will win the Premier League before Liverpool' - Neville's shock prediction
Sadio Mane's heartwarming gesture shows he's one of the nicest men in football
HI MY NAME IS
Jorginho follows Gerrard and Man United players with wrong names on shirt
Former Liverpool striker Sturridge looks to have found himself a new club
Live games on talkSPORT this weekend: Man City vs Spurs, Arsenal vs Burnley and more
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.