Tyson Fury has clarified that he would be very confident of beating Oleksandr Usyk, should they ever meet in the ring.
The ‘lineal’ heavyweight champion named Ukraine’s former undisputed cruiserweight champion as one of his biggest threats earlier this week, but has now made it clear that he still sees him as easy pickings.
Fury told CBS Sports: “I don’t think much about [Usyk], to be honest.
“He never enters the brain waves. Never. He’s not someone I’d rather think about, to be honest.
“I could probably beat Usyk with one arm tied behind my back and I’ll let you pick which one you want me to fight with, left or right.
“Either way it would be goodnight.”
When asked to give a wider assessment of his division, a dismissive Fury added: “The boxing scene, I’m quite sick of, actually.
“I’m quite sick of boxing. Andy Ruiz, Deontay Wilder, Anthony Joshua, Oleksandr Usyk, etc.
“F*** me, the list goes on and on and on. And there’s going to be another 10 coming out of the woodwork anytime soon.
“There is so many but what does it really matter? They are all motherf*****s anyway and they are all going to get f****d up.”
Spong replied: “After achieving most of my goals as a kickboxer and becoming one of the most decorated champions in the history of the sport, I wanted to test myself in the difficult and challenging sport of boxing.
“I have worked tirelessly during the last three years and now have the opportunity to prove my worth as a boxer against perhaps the best pound for pound, and most technically sound boxer in the world.
“Some may think the challenge may be too difficult, but I believe in myself, and look forward to being victorious on October 12.”
Deontay Wilder has revealed he does not see him a fight with Anthony Joshua taking place anytime soon.
Since 2017 after Joshua toppled Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley, the clamour from fans to see the two heavyweights finally square off has been huge.
But politics and AJ’s shock defeat to Andy Ruiz has meant the fight is still yet to happen. Given Wilder has rematches with Luis Ortiz and Tyson Fury to contend with, the ‘Bronze Bomber’ does not foresee a fight with the Brit on the horizon.
“Ortiz is definitely happening,” Wilder told BBC Sport. “I am looking forward to fighting him.
“After I knock him out I will go to Fury, knock him out and then we will go for a unification
“Once I get rid of Ortiz, I will get rid of Fury too. We will figure it out but Ortiz comes first.
“I saw Ruiz punch Joshua in the temple and it knocked his equilibrium out.
“He could not recover and that meant he got knocked down four times.
“When you are in a situation where you have not been before, it is like life teaching you a lot of lessons on the job.
“At that moment on the job for Joshua, he had to learn and could not pull through.
“But having fallen this time in life, the next time he might pull through because he has experienced it before and he should be able to correct the wrongs.”
But Wilder does not think Joshua will be able to right those wrongs.
He added: “Ruiz in my opinion [will win again]. I feel Joshua does not know how he lost, and that means he will not know how to set up a proper training camp – but anything is possible.”
Usyk to challenge Spong in heavyweight debut
Oleksandr Usyk will finally make his professional heavyweight debut against Tyron Spong, according to reports.
The former undisputed cruiserweight champion last fought in November as he stopped Tony Bellew in Manchester to confirm his status as the best in the world at 200lbs.
After beating ‘The Bomber’, a move to heavyweight was confirmed, but the Ukrainian was forced to pull out of his fight with Carlos Takam due to injury.
But now, according to Mike Coppinger, Usyk will now square off against American Spong on DAZN in Chicago, Illinois on October 12.
Spong has a fight this Saturday against Jeyson Minda, although it is only an eight-round contest. The 33-year-old is ranked as No.5 contender by the WBO.
Bob Arum has revealed Vasyl Lomachenko could drop down to Featherweight in order to face the fearsome Naoya Inoue.
The Ukrainian maestro is preparing to face Luke Campbell for the vacant WBC Lightweight title and plans to unify all of the belts at 135lbs.
However, once he has done so, Arum confirmed the 31-year-old would go down in weight as opposed to up.
Lomachenko is a three-weight world champion and the legendary Top Rank promoter believes returning to Featherweight is a real possibility for the man known as ‘Hi-Tech’.
“He’s a featherweight,” Arum said. “He had to eat extra food to box at 135.
“We have Jamel Herring, Miguel Berchelt [respectively WBO and WBC super-featherweight champion], Oscar Valdez, Carl Frampton, we have plenty of activity. Herring is fighting [Lamont] Roach next and if Frampton says he wants to fight him, we can arrange that.
“If we can’t get decent fights at lightweight, we will drop down and fight at 130 or 126.”
Arum also hinted Inoue, the WBA and IBF bantamweight champion, could also be in Lomachenko’s future if he moves up.
“He’s a big kid and could go up to 126 and he says he wants to fight Lomachenko,” Arum said. “There will be plenty of big fights for Loma.”
Hatton teases Tommy Fury after Love Island stint
Tommy Fury is back in training after his stint on Love Island, but this has not stopped trainer Ricky Hatton from teasing the light-heavyweight.
The 20-year-old finished as Runner-Up on the hit ITV2 show, postponing his professional career in the process.
The 2-0 slugger was wrapping his hands in pink tape ahead of some pad work, with Hatton unable to resist teasing Fury.
“I’ve seen it all now,” he said. “Tommy has come off Love Island and he’s wearing pink f****** hand wraps!”
With the new autumn season of boxing not far off, Hearn is now planning fights and shows for August 31 onwards, and intends to improve the quality of his standard Sky Sports shows, which he admits have not always been up to scratch so far this year.
He is also continuing to grow his US venture with subscription service DAZN and added some bouts that would be hosted Stateside to the list as well.
You can read Hearn’s full slate of 15 fights to make before the end of this year below.
LATEST BOXING NEWS
Ruiz Jr fires 'robot' jibe at Joshua after video emerges of Brit training for rematch
Frank Warren: Fury wants American, Canelo holds key, Hearn to bail?
Tyson Fury reveals he broke his dad’s ribs aged 14 to prove he could fight
Whyte hits straight back at Wilder, Joyce reveals interesting Ruiz vs Joshua story
THE REAL DILL
Dillian Whyte: Wilder is deluded, keep quiet Parker and reality TV
Joyce tells surprising Ruiz Jr sparring story, which suggested AJ would KO him
Crolla gives fascinating insight into fighting Lomachenko ahead of Campbell clash
Deontay Wilder fires back at Dillian Whyte, Canelo makes offer to new opponent
Dillian Whyte ranks the top ten heavyweights, including himself, Fury, Wilder and AJ
WBC begin drug testing boxing judges in bizarre new move
Hatton gives honest Fury opinion, insists AJ beats Ruiz nine times out of ten
Fury is ‘world’s best’, Whyte ‘deserves‘ title shot, Canelo and GGG next opponents
1. Oleksandr Usyk vs Carlos Takam (Heavyweight)
2. Derek Chisora vs Joseph Parker (Heavyweight)
3. Jamie Munguia vs Jessie Vargas (WBO Super-Welterweight Title)
4. Kal Yafai vs Juan Estrada (WBA & WBC Super-Flyweight Titles)
5. Jorge Linares vs Ricky Burns (Lightweight)
6. Callum Johnson vs Joe Smith Jr (Light-Heavyweight)
7. Liam Smith vs Sergio Garcia (European Super-Welterweight Title)
8. Joshua Buatsi vs Sullivan Barrera (Light-Heavyweight)
9. Jamie McDonnell vs TJ Doheny (Super-Bantamweight/Featherweight)
10. Francesco Patera vs Joe Cordina (European Lightweight Title)
11. Lewis Ritson vs Robbie Davies Jr (British Super-Lightweight Title)
12. Conor Benn vs Johnny Garton (Welterweight)
13. Kid Galahad vs Enrique Tinoco (Featherweight)
14. Rocky Fielding vs Anthony Sims Jr (Super-Middleweight)
15. Jono Carroll vs Martin J Ward (Super-Featherweight)
Wladimir Klitschko rescued from burning yacht by coast guard in Majorca
Police escort Ruiz Jr through hometown in open top Rolls Royce as he parades belts
Lomachenko demonstrates ruthless Muay Thai skills - warning for Cejudo?
ALL THE BELTS
Santa Cruz welcomes featherweight unifications vs Warrington and Russell Jr
Spence declares Brook is ‘washed’ days after Brit dismisses retirement speculation
LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON
Billy Joe Saunders’ son copies father’s famous showboat during fight
Boxing schedule 2019, all major upcoming fights and results
WBO explain why Usyk is made mandatory for Ruiz vs Joshua rematch winner, not Whyte
The Ukrainian, who has never fought in the heavyweight division, was the undisputed WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO cruiserweight champion, which afforded him ‘super champion’ status with the WBO ahead of his move up.
The sanctioning body rules that any ‘super champion’ immediately becomes the mandatory challenger when they move up to a new division, which means Whyte’s long wait for a title shot continues.
And his relationship with the WBO has now reached boiling point.
“If I say what I really feel about these things, I might get removed from the rankings,” he told talkSPORT.
“I start saying stuff and they send me emails and letters saying I can’t say these things and it’s disrespectful. But the fact that they’re disrespecting me constantly doesn’t mean anything.
“Boxing’s full of s***, basically, and we see it time and time again.
“It’s a joke. He pulled out of the [Carlos] Takam fight. These guys are jokers. It is what it is.”
Ruiz Jr is the current WBO champion following his stunning victory over Joshua in New York, and the mandatory is likely to be called after a rematch between the pair, meaning it’ll take place early next year.
The news comes as an unwelcome distraction for Whyte, who is currently preparing for his next bout against Oscar Rivas.
The ‘Body Snatcher’ makes his return to the ring on July 20 and promises not to underestimate his undefeated opponent.
“I’ve got a big fight ahead of me and I just want to focus on that,” he added.
“Rivas is a tough challenger. He’s coming to win and he’s undefeated. He’s never lost before.”
Oleksandr Usyk has been officially named as WBO mandatory challenger in the heavyweight division, the sanctioning body announced on Sunday.
Andy Ruiz Jr is the current champion, although it is thought the mandatory will likely not be called until after his rematch with Anthony Joshua. Therefore it’ll take place early next year.
However, the decision is not a simple one and hasn’t gone down well in some quarters.
British contender Dillian Whyte and his team contested as they believe he should have been given the mandatory position.
Ultimately the WBO decided to opt for Usyk, and the explanation for this ruling can be found below.
Going into this process, Whyte was the WBO’s #1 ranked heavyweight contender and had been for some time.
Meanwhile, Usyk was the undisputed WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO cruiserweight champion, which afforded him ‘super champion’ status with the WBO ahead of his move up to heavyweight.
On the Monday after Ruiz’s shock win over Joshua to claim the title, Usyk’s legal team requested that the WBO make him the heavyweight mandatory challenger – owing to his ‘super champion’ status at cruiserweight.
This is because it is one of the sanctioning body’s rules that, if a ‘super champion’ moves up or down a division, they are entitled to become the immediate mandatory challenger – as was seen for Terence Crawford against Jeff Horn last year.
In response, Whyte’s team replied and argued his number one position and heavyweight résumé meant he was better placed to become the mandatory challenger.
They also stated that Usyk was yet to fight in the division and seeking interim bouts before actually contesting the title, plus he recently pulled out of his heavyweight debut against Carlos Takam due to injury.
Usyk’s team then submitted their own rebuttal and insisted Whyte’s position and résumé should be superseded by their man’s ‘super champion’ status.
They also denied their man is still injured, provided an official medical certificate to prove this, and declared he would be willing to take the mandatory fight immediately if called, whereas Whyte can’t because he’s currently scheduled to face Oscar Rivas on July 20.
In response to this, Whyte’s team asked the WBO to wait until after July 20 to make their decision. However they didn’t choose to do so.
The WBO instead decided that Usyk’s career achievements to date and well-earned ‘super champion’ status at cruiserweight was enough to grant him the mandatory position.
They concluded that Usyk would be ready to take a fight against the champion now, whereas Whyte has a bout set which could affect proceedings.