Boxing news: Unbeaten Archie Sharp loses first three rounds, then scores one-punch knockout on Daniel Dubois undercard

27 Sep

Archie Sharp grabbed a few headlines with a phenomenal knockout on Daniel Dubois’ undercard on Friday night.

The 24-year-old super-featherweight maintained his unbeaten record with a gigantic fourth-round left hook which landed perfectly on Declan Geraghty’s chin.

The fight started worryingly for Sharp, who was being outboxed in the early stages.

Geraghty’s southpaw style proved tricky for the Brit, however he found the perfect answer for this in the fourth.

Sharp uncorked a single left hook that left his opponent out on the canvas.

Referee Howard Foster waved the bout off straight away – Sharp moved to 17-0.

You can watch the video of the KO above.

Boxing news: Nicola Adams suffers first blip of professional career in controversial draw with Maria Salinas on Daniel Dubois undercard

27 Sep

Nicola Adams retained her WBO flyweight title by the skin of her teeth on Friday night at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

Britain’s double Olympic gold medallist endured a far tougher night than expected and suffered the first blip of her career as rugged Mexican challenger Maria Salinas pushed her to a split draw over ten rounds.

Nicola Adams posed with her belt while Maria Salinas was cheered
Getty

The pressure of Salinas troubled the champion throughout the night with many of the rounds close and tough to score.

When the scorecards were read out, there were some boos as a portion of the crowd believed the Mexican should have been awarded the victory.

Adams was initially awarded the title after being upgraded from ‘interim’ status in July.

With the draw, she retains the belt, although it appears some feel she is fortunate to have done so.

You can read a round-up of the reaction to the bout below.

Anthony Joshua reveals who he’d rather face – Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder?

27 Sep

Anthony Joshua has assured fans that he will fight both Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury in future, and has revealed his preferred choice out of the two.

Despite previously focussing solely on the undisputed title bout against America’s ‘Bronze Bomber’, AJ now would rather host a ‘Battle of Britain’ against the ‘Gypsy King’.

Anthony Joshua must beat Andy Ruiz Jr in their rematch to set up mega fights
AFP or licensors

When asked if he’ll definitely face his main heavyweight rivals, Joshua told Sky Sports: “Yeah, 100 per cent. That’s like asking, ‘Will a certain football team play another football team?’

“Of course, we’re in the same division, we’re in the same era, we have to fight each other. We’re all big draws in the heavyweight division.

“I’d love to fight Fury, I’d love to fight Wilder, I’m fighting Andy Ruiz next and the list goes on.”

The first fight between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder was a draw
getty

Pressed further on which of the two he’d rather meet, AJ replied: “Right now I’d say Fury in Wembley because it’s like the best in Britain.

“It is massive I think, I think that’s a massive fight.”

 

Boxing news: 18-year-old prospect Dennis McCann likened to Prince Naseem Hamed after stunning uppercuts in knockout win on Daniel Dubois undercard

27 Sep

Dennis McCann once again caught the eye as he knocked out Georgi Georgiev in two rounds to move to 4-0 (3 KOs) on Friday night in London.

The 18-year-old bantamweight prospect is generating serious hype in the early stages of his career, with some already likening his style to that of British boxing legend, Prince Naseem Hamed.

McCann floored his foe twice in the first round and again in second, prompting the referee to jump in and stop the contest.

The starlet’s unique technique captured the attention of the BT Sport broadcast team, and his bizarrely effective lead uppercuts were roundly praised.

Earlier in the week, his promoter Frank Warren told talkSPORT.com about McCann: “Dennis ‘The Menace’, he’s a young star in the making.

Dennis McCann is developing well
Getty Images - Getty

“His last 17 amateur bouts before he turned pro, he knocked everybody out, and he’s settled down really well.

“He can fight, he really can fight. He’s got a great boxing brain, watch him fight. If you like boxing, you’ll love him, he’s explosive.

“I think it’s his fourth fight now and it’s part of his journey. He’s been really busy, he’s had these fights very quickly.

“We’re gonna keep him busy and I think this time next year he’ll be there or thereabouts fighting for a British title.”

You can read a round-up of the reaction to his win below.

Former UFC middleweight champ Chris Weidman wants Jon Jones – ‘I don’t think he’s looked that good’

27 Sep

Chris Wiedman is a former UFC middleweight champion who defeated Anderson Silva in his prime – twice.

There’s no doubt that Silva goes down as one of the all-time greats in MMA, but many would argue Jon Jones is the very best ever.

Chris Wiedman is a former world champion
UFC.com

After losing four of his last five outings in the octagon, Wiedman is making the step up to light-heavyweight and he is targeting a date with Bones where he could shock the world for the second time.

Before he does that, he’s got to face the unbeaten Dominick Reyes on October 18.

Still, he’s made it no secret that his goal is to face Jones and he doesn’t think the UFC light heavyweight champion is the force he once was.

“Being the guy that shocks the world, not once but twice, against what people think are the greatest of all time, and against someone that most people think can’t even be beaten,” Weidman told Submission Radio. “That’s where Anderson Silva was when I fought him and this is where Jon Jones is right now, and so that motivates the hell out of me. That’s the legacy I want.”

Jones going at it with longtime rival Daniel Cormier
getty images

“I don’t think he’s looked that good, I don’t think he’s looked as dangerous. He’s not finishing, and I see there’s a lot of… he’s great, but I see there’s definitely holes in there,” Weidman continued. “I always believed there’s a blueprint to beat him. 

“You see it a little bit more, but I always knew he’s beatable, and I think if it was a guy like me with power in the hands and also the wrestling that’s better and Jiu Jitsu. So, I think that’s really I take it to him. But no one’s been able to do that yet. He’s done a great job, he adjusts really well in there. So, that’s the goal, is to get in there with him.”

Reyes, however, is just one of a crop of guys at 205lbs that are making a lot of noise and are on the rise. Guys like Johnny Walker and Aleksander Rakic as well as Reyes will have a lot to say about Wiedman getting a shot at Jones.

WWE and AEW news: NXT champion set for main roster switch, Edge ‘retires’ again – but not from wrestling

27 Sep

The Wednesday Night Wars is upon us next week and the wrestling world is busy every single day right now.

Let’s jump into the biggest news doing the rounds right now:

Jerry ‘The King’ Lawler’s return to RAW temporary

According to Pro Wrestling Sheet, The King’s return to the RAW commentary booth is a short-term thing.

Lawler was announced alongside Vic Joseph with Dio Maddin to be RAW’s new three-man team. While Tom Phillips and Byron Saxton find themselves on the sidelines, WWE are said to still be high on the former.

NXT ratings

NXT scored a 1.006 million viewership for week two on USA.

That’s slightly down from the 1.179 million they did for the premiere, but a slight drop-off was expected. Next week they go head-to-head with AEW for the first time.

Edge ‘retiring’ from the E&C podcast

Edge is retiring again, but this time it’s from the very successful podcast he does with Christian.

It was only a few weeks ago the Canadian intimated he believed he could wrestle another match.

Shayna Baszler call-up

The current NXT Women’s champion, Shayna Baszler, will be heading for the main roster sooner rather than later, but that doesn’t mean she’ll be dropping the belt next week.

“Shayna is geared for the main roster at some point in 2020, if not earlier. I mean, she may be drafted right after.”

Shayna Baszler as NXT Women’s champion
WWE

 

Dana White gives latest update on Conor McGregor’s next fight, B.J. Penn released from UFC, Chris Wiedman thinks he can beat Jon Jones

27 Sep

talkSPORT.com rounds up all of today’s biggest news and gossip from the world of UFC…

B.J. Penn released from the UFC

B.J. Penn has finally been released from the UFC after nearly two decades.

The former two-weight world champion first fought in the UFC in 2001 and went on to have 27 fights in the promotion.

BJ Penn’s UFC career is over
Getty Images - Getty

His recent record has been atrocious with seven straight defeats with his last win coming in 2010.

Penn had reportedly been in talks over another fight but, following a recent altercation in Hawaii, he Dana White said he was finished with the promotion.

Dana White on McGregor’s next fight

Conor McGregor teased a return to the Octagon on Twitter when he said: “Dublin, December 14.”

Dana White has dismissed the possibility of him fighting in Ireland on that date because the UFC already have an event planned for Las Vegas on December 14.

In a Twitter Q&A video he said: “Conor wants to fight December 14 in Dublin, but we have a fight in Vegas.

“So if he doesn’t fight on that card, he’ll fight early next year.”

Wiedman wants Jones fight

After losing four of his last five outings in the octagon, Chris Wiedman is making the step up to light-heavyweight and he is targeting a date with Jon ‘Bones’ Jones.

Before he does that, he’s got to face the unbeaten Dominick Reyes on October 18.

Still, he’s made it no secret that his goal is to face Jones and he doesn’t think the UFC light heavyweight champion is the force he once was.

Chris Wiedman is a former world champion
UFC.com

“Being the guy that shocks the world, not once but twice, against what people think are the greatest of all time, and against someone that most people think can’t even be beaten,” Weidman told Submission Radio.

“That’s where Anderson Silva was when I fought him and this is where Jon Jones is right now, and so that motivates the hell out of me. That’s the legacy I want.”

 

England wicket-keeper Sarah Taylor says decision to retire from international cricket is ‘the right one’ for her health

27 Sep

England wicket-keeper Sarah Taylor has announced her retirement from international duty with immediate effect as she continues her battle with anxiety.

Taylor is widely regarded as one of the greatest wicket-keepers in the world. She scored 6,533 runs in 226 appearances across all formats and is second on England’s all-time list. Taylor is widely regarded as one of the greatest wicket-keepers in the world.

Sarah Taylor included in England Women's World Cup squad
Taylor has had a glittering international career

In recent years, though, Taylor has missed a number of series at home and abroad as she manages her mental health, with the issue leading to her withdrawal from England’s squad midway through this summer’s Ashes.

She has therefore decided to end an international career that started in August 2006 and comprised of 10 Tests, 126 ODIs and 90 Twenty20s, the highlights of which include three Ashes series wins and World Cup triumphs in 2009 and 2017.

Taylor, 30, said: “This has been a tough decision but I know it’s the right one, for me and for my health moving forward.

“I am extremely proud of my career. I leave with my head held high and with excitement for what my future holds and what my next chapter brings.”

Taylor took an extended break from the game in 2016 but returned to play a pivotal part in England’s World Cup win the following year, amassing 396 runs at an average of 49.5.

Nobody in the women’s game has affected more dismissals across all the formats than Taylor’s 232.

She added: “Playing for England and getting to wear the shirt for so long has been a dream come true and I have been blessed with so many great moments throughout my career.

“From making my debut in 2006, to Ashes wins, and of course the World Cup final at Lord’s, to name just a few.

“I’ve also been blessed with travelling the world and making lifelong friends along the way.

“To be right in the thick of women’s cricket as it’s gone from strength to strength – not only in England, but across the world – has been an amazing experience, and I can look back on what women’s cricket has achieved with great pride at playing some small part in it.

“The England girls are role models on and off the field, and they have undoubtedly inspired – and will continue to inspire – so many young people to take up the game, girls and boys.

“I can’t wait to see the heights that this team can reach.”

Taylor has won three Ashes series and two World Cups with England
getty

Clare Connor, managing director of women’s cricket, thinks her former team-mate can take immense pride from her 13-year international career.

She said: “Sarah can be immensely proud of everything she has achieved in an England shirt, and of everything she has done for the women’s game.

“She is someone that young people can look up to, for her achievements and talent on the pitch – but also for her bravery and resilience off it.

“She has come through significant adversity and performed on the world stage for her country.

“We are very grateful to Sarah for her contributions to English cricket over the last 13 years.

“She has become a powerful voice within women’s sport and I’m sure she will make a success of the next stage of her professional life. We all wish her the very best.”

WWE legend The Undertaker hated Shawn Michaels so much he ‘Probably wouldn’t p*** on him if he was on fire’

27 Sep

In 1997, The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels made history when they competed in the first-ever Hell in a Cell match at the Bad Blood pay-per-view.

You know, the one where Undertaker’s brother Kane debuted?

Kane making his debut at the first-ever Hell in a Cell match between Undertaker and Shawn Michaels
WWE

Since then, the pair had arguably the greatest match in wrestling history – certainly WrestleMania history – at WrestleMania 25 and a rematch the year after.

The respect they share is golden, but it wasn’t always that way.

Speaking on WWE Untold regarding the first-ever Hell in a Cell, the Deadman revealed he wouldn’t have p***ed on HBK if he was on fire back then.

“Where Shawn Michaels and I are today and where we were at back then on a personal level, it’s taken a complete 360,” Undertaker said.

“If Shawn Michaels back then was on fire, I probably wouldn’t p*** on him to put him out.

“But, that being said, there is no one that I would rather be in the ring with than Shawn Michaels.

“When it came to bell time and we were looking across the ring at each other, we knew it was going to be something really special.”

For Michaels’ part, he explained why they didn’t see eye-to-eye.

“It’s not like there was a bunch of animosity. We were just two very different personalities.

Undertaker and Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania

“I was very outgoing, which is to say I was overly obnoxious, and Mark’s always been a very quiet, laid-back kind of guy.

“A very Cool Hand Luke, very Clint Eastwood-ish type, and I was not.”

Today, they are great friends that have left an indelible mark on the business. But back in 1997? Michaels was a man with a lot of problems and addictions that Undertaker was in no mood to stand for!

Boxing news: Nicola Adams to make history tonight in first female fight at the Royal Albert Hall

27 Sep

Tonight, Nicola Adams will defend her WBO world flyweight title against Maria Salinas at the Royal Albert Hall.

Rising heavyweight sensation Daniel Dubois will headline the card, but there is a special significance for Adams.

Nicola Adams is 5-0 as a professional
Getty

The 36-year-old only became the world flyweight champion back in July, but now, in her sixth professional fight, she takes on the Mexican Salinas with history being made.

When the two women enter the ring at the illustrious Royal Albert Hall, they’ll become the first women to ever box at the famous venue.

The Leeds-native knows what a stern test former world title challenger Salinas brings to the table and is fully aware of the magnitude of the occasion.

“She’s tough, she’s strong,” Adams told BBC Sport. “This is definitely the biggest fight of my career as a professional so far.

“She’s fought for the world title before and lost, and I’m planning to make sure it’s the same outcome at the Royal Albert Hall.”

Although the 2012 Olympic gold medallist is 37 next month, having seen the likes of Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao win fights in their 40s, she’s confident there is still plenty of tread left in her tyres.

“I’ll be boxing until I decide that I can’t anymore,” she said.