UFC News: Dana White wants Daniel Cormier to fight Jon Jones after Brock Lesnar before retiring

20 Nov

Dana White has reiterated his desire to see Daniel Cormier face Jon Jones after his clash with Brock Lesnar.

The UFC Light-heavyweight and Heavyweight champion is looking to ride off into the sunset after a lucrative fight with former WWE champion Brock Lesnar.

Jones won a majority decision victory over Cormier in their first fight at UFC 182 in 2015

Having promised to retire on or before his 40th birthday, it seems as though Lesnar would be the final opponent for Olympian ‘DC’.

However, the President of the MMA organisation has stressed he wants to see Cormier stay with the promotion and fight Jones for a third time, but as a heavyweight this time.

Brock Lesnar is itching to fight DC in 2019

“I think Cormier’s got a couple left in him,” White told TMZ. “I would like to see Jones and Cormier fight at heavyweight but right now, Cormier’s team wants him to retire.

“They want him to retire right now. I hope we can get three more fights out of him.”

Jones also won the rematch in 2017, albeit under controversial circumstances

Cormier and Jones are mortal enemies having fought twice before at light-heavyweight, with Jones emerging victorious on both occasions.

However, their controversial rematch saw Cormier regain the title after Jones was provisional suspension as a result of a positive drug test. It was later confirmed the 31-year-old had tested positive for Tubinarol.

He is expected to make his return to the UFC with a light-heavyweight title fight on December 29 against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 232 in a rematch of one of the greatest fights in history.

As soon as the buzzer is sounded for the fight, Cormier will apparently be stripped of the 205-pound belt – perhaps agitating him enough to agree to a trilogy fight with Jones.

 

Boxing news: Floyd Mayweather’s opponent Tenshin Nasukawa brutally KO’s rival in the first round ahead of exhibition fight

20 Nov

Floyd Mayweather’s next opponent, Tenshin Nasukawa, has reiterated his desire to KO the undefeated American when they meet on New Year’s Eve in Japan in an exhibition bout.

And the Japanese kickboxing sensation prepared for the fight by brutally knocking out an opponent inside one round to take his perfect record to 28-0.

The 20-year-old is set to square off with Mayweather in what is effectively a friendly match – with the result not going on either man’s record. However, after pummelling Taiki Naito inside a one round he has insisted he is going for the stoppage.

He told reporters after the result at RISE 129 in Tokyo, “As you all probably know, on NYE I will be fighting Mayweather. I am going back to practice tomorrow until NYE to be able to definitely KO him. I will absolutely knock him out”

As you can see above, Nasukawa possesses fantastic speed and power and the starlet known as ‘Ninja Boy’ is not looking to tiptoe around with his 41-year-old opponent.

The kickboxer knocked Naito down two times before putting a fight-ending combination together along the ropes that finally shut down his Japanese counterpart.

Nasukawa has even crossed over into mixed martial arts (MMA) for an undefeated 4-0 record under the RIZIN banner.

The fight seemed to be off after Mayweather claimed he did not know the bout was not an exhibition, claiming he had been scheduled to fight in front of wealthy spectators for ‘a very large fee’.

Conor McGregor news: The ‘Notorious’ set for rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov in a BOXING ring – reports

19 Nov

Conor McGregor could be finally gifted the rematch he so desperately craves against Khabib Nurmagomedov, but in a boxing ring and not with the UFC.

That’s according to Nurmagomedov’s father, Abdulmanap, who admitted his son would be ‘interested’ in a fight in the squared circle against the Notorious in the future.

McGregor was floored by a massive overhand right in the second round of the fight at UFC 229

The duo finally got the chance to settle their bitter rivalry at UFC 229 in October, with Khabib forcing McGregor to tap to a neck crank in the fourth round.

However, the ensuing brawl took some of the shine off the Russian’s stellar performance, in which he more than held his own in the striking exchanges.

As a result, a match with fellow undefeated champion Floyd Mayweather was touted instead of giving McGregor the rematch he instantly wanted.

However, Nurmagomedov’s father and coach told Russian newspaper Izvestia that he would like to face McGregor under boxing rules.

Although McGregor was tipped as the better striker, Khabib was happy to trade with his rival

Abdulmanap said: “As for the fight against Conor according to the rules of boxing, we are interested in such a fight.

“Khabib showed that he is able to win the best drummers of mixed martial arts. He talked about this before, but few believed it.

“However, after bright victories over Michael Johnson, Edson Barbosa and Conor, (people) begin to believe.

“Nurmagomedov is able to do it in the boxing ring. Khabib has all the skills to win by the rules of boxing. One of the key skills can be called endurance.

“I recall a five-round fight with Al Iaquinta, in which Khabib showed his willingness to fight in absolutely any manifestation, using everything from a light left jab to control in the stalls.

“I want to note that the fight with Al Iaquinta was of great importance for us, the champion belt was at stake and it was important to hold the meeting coolly, taking our own. What we did.”

Nick Diaz set to return to UFC 235 against Jorge Masvidal after four yours away from MMA, according to Dana White

16 Nov

Nick Diaz is set to make a sensational return to the UFC after four years, according to President Dana white.

The welterweight looks set to face Jorge Masvidal at UFC 235 on March 2, 2019 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Nick Diaz is ending his UFC hiatus in 2019

Although the contracts are yet to be agreed and signed, the deals are reportedly close to being finalised, according to ESPN.

The Stockton-native has not competed since his decision loss to Anderson Silva in 2015. However, the bout was later changed to a no-contest, after both Silva and Diaz failed their respective drug tests.

Instagram Photo

Diaz was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for 18 months after testing positive for marijuana metabolites.

The United States Anti-Doping Agency banned him again in 2017 after missing three out-of-competition drug tests, meaning he was eligible to fight in April.

Masvidal looks set to be the man to welcome Diaz back to the octagon

Nick is the older brother of Nate Diaz, who is also going through a similar lengthy absence from the sport having not competed since losing to Conor McGregor in 2016.

The lightweight was scheduled to face fellow contender Dustin Poirier at UFC 230, but the bout was pulled after ‘Diamond’ pulled out with a mysterious injury.

Floyd Mayweather’s fight with Tenshin Nasukawa is back ON as boxing legend agrees to exhibition

15 Nov

Floyd Mayweather has confirmed he will fight Tenshin Nasukawa in Tokyo, but under a very modified rule set.

The 50-0 boxing legend declared earlier this month he was coming out of retirement to fight the 20-year-old Japanese kickboxer on New Year’s Eve.

Mayweather’s fight is back on!

But the American boxing legend then cancelled the fight after claiming he had been misled about the nature and conditions of the bout.

However, it seems as though the contest is now back on, with Mayweather agreeing to a three-round contest.

“We’re gonna make it happen,” the 41-year-old told TMZ Sports.

“I went over there and it happened to be a huge press conference and they wanted to throw a lot of my people under the bus.

“Just for promoting this event I’ve made seven figures.

“Rules? It’s going to be a little boxing exhibition. No kicking.

“I’m moving around with the guy for nine minutes, and of course it’s going to be the highest paid exhibition ever.

“It’s a no-brainer. Just because I’m retired from boxing I still make appearances worldwide and make a ton of money.”

Instagram Photo

 

MMA fighter Harvey Park shows off horror injury suffered during fight… which he WON!

15 Nov

MMA fighter Harvey Park suffered a horror injury during his fight against Leville Simpson at LFA 53.

The pair were clashing on the undercard in Phoenix, Arizona, with Park going on to beat his opponent in the lightweight bout.

Park went on to beat Simpson despite his injury
twitter.com/harveyparkmma

However, he had to overcome a gruesome injury to secure his win by round three decision.

The ‘FightBot’ broke a bone in his left hand during the fight, which then popped out of place and PIERCED the skin.

@harveyparkmma on Twitter
The bone can be seen bursting out Park’s hand
twitter.com/harveyparkmma

The fighter shared images on Twitter, which showed the bone outside the skin, with Park’s hand stained in blood from the wound.

There was serious swelling around Park’s finger…
twitter.com/harveyparkmma
And a lot of blood!
Axis TV

But despite suffering this injury in the first round, the 32-year-old managed to fight on and beat Simpson in the third.

After the bout, fans were calling for Park to share the X-ray of his injury, and he obliged on Twitter – @harveyparkMMA.

Park shared his X-ray on social media
twitter.com/harveyparkmma

Still, Park’s injury is still not as bad as when fellow MMA fighter Bryce Mitchell ‘ripped his nutsack in half’ with a drill in freak DIY accident.

UFC news: Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone ‘waiting on’ Conor McGregor to sign contract for incredible 2019 fight

14 Nov

Donald Cerrone is reportedly ‘waiting on’ Conor McGregor to sign his half of a contract to fight the Irishman next year.

‘Cowboy’ claimed a sensational win over Mike Perry on Saturday at Fight Night Denver to make it 21 UFC career wins – an organisation record.

Cerrone celebrates after submitting Mike Perry at UFC Denver

The former lightweight world title contender submitted ‘Perry’ with an extraordinary armbar and, shortly after the contest, issued a challenge to current 155lbs king Khabib Nurmagomedov.

Having competed at welterweight in the latter stages of his career, it seems as though the 35-year-old is keen on dropping back down to his former division for a lucrative payday with the ‘Notorious’.

Taking to Instagram on Tuesday night, Cerrone wrote: “Just waiting on him! I know a guy”

Instagram Photo

Although McGregor is still awaiting to find his punishment for his part in the brawl after UFC 229 with Nurmagomedov and his team, a decision will be reached after December 10 and he could escape with a fine – leaving the door open to a fight in 2019.

McGregor tapped out at UFC 229 and is awaiting his next opponent

The Irishman has insisted he wants to rematch the undefeated Russian on several occasions, but is willing to fight whoever he has to in order to climb back up the rankings.

With UFC President Dana White insisting Tony Ferguson is next in line for a title shot, it seems as though McGregor will have to wait his turn.

Shortly after defeating ‘Platinum’, Cerrone revealed the UFC had offered him a ‘very exciting’ fight back at his former weight.

”There is someone, they already came up and told me,” he revealed with a grin. “There’s your clickbait. You son of a b***h, you ain’t gonna get me to say it. Not gonna happen. They told me the who for once in my life first. 155. It’s very exciting. Guy’s very exciting. You’ll like it. You’ll all like it.”

McGregor also promised to ‘snap Cerrone in half’ in 2015

Cerrone last fought for a title in 2015, but was defeated in the first round by Rafael dos Anjos, who was then scheduled to defend the belt against McGregor before pulling out with injury.

The two have previous dating back to just before Cerrone fought Dos Anjos. AT the UFC ‘Go Big’ press conference they traded verbal barbs after McGregor promised to ‘change his bum life’ with a ‘red panty night’ fight.

 

The brutal elbow from Yair Rodriguez that knocked out the Korean Zombie at UFC Fight Night 139

12 Nov

On the same night as Tony Bellew bowed out of the boxing ring, across the Atlantic, Chan Sung Jung and Yair Rodriguez were going to war with each other in the octagon.

Even before the fifth and final round of the main event of UFC Fight Night 139 in Denver was over, it was already a fight of the year candidate.

Rodriguez knocked The Korean Zombie out with an elbow in the last second of the fifth round at UFC Fight Night in Denver

Then, with a second left, Rodriguez’s counter elbow to deck the ‘Korean Zombie’ out, probably made it a candidate for knockout of the year, too.

Jung was on his way to victory until he was floored at 4:59 to send the crowd in the arena wild.

Both fighters made a great account of themselves and were well deserving of the $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus and for his knockout, Rodriguez received an additional $50,000 for one of the two stand-out performances of the night; the other going to Donald Cerrone.

Rodriguez was shattered after his win against the Korean Zombie, a display that earned him Performance of the Night

 

From his hospital bed, Rodriguez said: “Hey, to all the beautiful people who supported me for this fight, everyone that has kept faith in me, I just want to say thank you so much, God bless.

“It was a short notice fight, it’s been a very rough time in my life and career in the last few months, but I’m very happy to be able to have my job and my loved ones with me. I’m very happy to have your support and I hope it remains that way.

“I hope you guys liked the fight, right now I’m here (at the hospital) about to take X-rays of my feet and nose. My respects to ‘Korean Zombie,’ he’s a warrior and I send him all my respect, love and appreciation and to his team as well.

“Greetings to all the people in Korea, God bless.”

Instagram Photo

Jung, who hadn’t fought since 2017, posted an image of the two fighters from their hospital bed.

Sharing the same picture on his Instagram, UFC president, Dana White said: “So AWESOME!!!! If you missed this fight between the @koreanzombiemma and @panteraufc you missed one of the sickest fights EVER with the most Unf******believable ending EVER!!! So much respect for these 2 guys. I love this f****** sport SO MUCH.”

Boxing news: Eddie Hearn believes he can offer Conor McGregor ‘horny numbers’ to fight Paulie Malignaggi

10 Nov

Eddie Hearn has revealed he is planning on making a boxing match between Conor McGregor and Paulie Malignaggi.

The two fighters despise each other after the Irishman controversially released sparring footage which showed him knocking the former welterweight world champion down.

McGregor was stopped in the 11th round of his fight against Mayweather

Having agreed to help the ‘Notorious’ prepare for his professional boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather in August last year, the ‘Magic Man’ was left incensed and has begged for a real fight between the pair.

Although he has been retired since March of the same year, Malignaggi is still itching for the fight and Matchroom chief Hearn revealed talks are underway.

He told iFL TV at the Usyk v Bellew weigh-in: “I said to him [Malignaggi] this morning, I would love to do it.

“DAZN – oh they would pay a lot of money for that fight. I said to Conor McGregor’s guys I would float the numbers to them and see what they think.

Malignaggi retired with a record of 36-8

“Listen I think, as I said to Conor McGregor’s guys, maybe he can beat Paulie Malignaggi. I don’t think he beats Khabib.

“He’s been living the good life since he’s retired so you never know how he is going to be coming back.

“I tell you one thing, it is a good fight.” Hearn then turned to the 37-year-old with a wry smile and said: “Didn’t he drop you in sparring?”

McGregor’s fighting career appears to be in state of limbo. Although he is still campaigning for a rematch against lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, he has accepted he may have to wait and accept a fight against another contender first.

With a suspension from the UFC still hanging over his head, a return to the squared circle should be seen as a genuine possibility.

And Hearn believes he has just the opponent for the 30-year-old.

He continued: “What I said about the fight was that, no disrespect to you, you’ve been retired for two years. But him against Mayweather was always going to be a complete mismatch.

So therefore, he has more chance against you than he did against Mayweather.

I’d be interested to look at the numbers. I reckon I can come up with some horny numbers for that fight.”

Tony Bellew refuses to rule out UFC switch as boxer eyes declares interest in potential MMA career after retirement

7 Nov

Tony Bellew has expressed an interest in a potential move to fight in the UFC once his boxing career is finished.

The 35-year-old cruiserweight is set for what he promises will be his final bout in his current sport against Oleksandr Usyk this weekend.

Bellew will challenge Usyk for the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO world titles in Manchester

However, once this contest is finished and he has retired as promised, an MMA career could beckon for the Liverpool man.

When asked about a possible career crossover, Bellew confessed to Oddschecker: “I must admit I do love MMA, I do love the UFC and the way they’ve built it – it’s a fantastic brand.

“It’s now a billion dollar organisation, it was bought for over four billion by IMG, they’re a mega organisation.

“That’s all down to Dana White and the Fertitta brothers.

Liverpool’s UFC star Darren Till is good friends with Bellew

“Could I see myself doing anything in that world, that realm? Yeah. Cause I love it so much. I’ve got a task ahead of me on November 10 – that’s what I’m focused on just now.

“I’m retiring from ‘boxing’ on November 10. What happens after that – I don’t know.”

Check out the full interview with Tony Bellew from Oddschecker and William Hill below.