Hull FC 18-26 Castleford: Two tries from Michael Shenton helps Tigers make it two wins from two in Super League

7 Feb

It’s two wins in two Betfred Super League games for Castleford as they claimed a 26-18 victory over Hull FC at the KCOM Stadium.

Tigers skipper Michael Shenton scored two of their five tries despite three missed conversions from Paul McShane, leaving Hull without a point so far this season.

Shenton was the game’s standout player

More worryingly for the Black and Whites, their losing run now stands at 13 games dating back to June 2018.

Shenton gave the visitors the ideal start with the game’s opening try in the fourth minute. Jake Trueman broke free from Hakim Miloudi’s tackle to create the opening for Shenton. Paul McShane’s conversion gave Castleford an early 6-0 advantage.

It got better for Daryl Powell’s side when they scored their second try in the 13th minute. McShane’s grubber kick was grounded by Jesse Sene-Lefao despite the attempts of Hull prop Scott Taylor to defend his line. McShane was off target with his conversion attempt, but his side led 10-0.

Castleford raced to a 10-0 lead inside the first 15 minutes

Hull eventually managed to get downfield and put the Tigers under pressure on their own try line. Moments after Mark Minichiello was held up, Joe Westerman powered his way over the line against his old. Marc Sneyd’s conversion cut Castleford’s lead to 10-6.

Hull were level in the 27th minute through a well-worked try between Hull’s two half-backs with Sneyd’s precision kick collected superbly by Jake Connor to score on his return from a one-match suspension. Sneyd’s conversion edge Hull into a 12-10 lead after 27 minutes.

Castleford ended the first half in the same manner they began it, by attacking Hull’s line. Again it was Tigers skipper Shenton finishing the move that was made easier by Miloudi’s decision to vacate his outside position in the defensive line that made Shenton’s job a lot simpler.

McShane found the conversion close to the touchline much harder and his missed attempt meant the visitors led 14-12 at the break.

Eight minutes into the second half, Castleford extended their lead to 18-12 with their third unconverted try of the game. James Clare ended a flowing attack by grounding the ball in mid air to avoid going into touch.

Hull were then denied a try when Connor’s score was disallowed for an obstruction prior to him strolling through to score.

In their next set, Castleford extended their lead to 24-12 with their fifth try of the contest. McShane, who was at the heart of most of the Tigers’ attacks, dropped a grubber kick through for Junior Moors to ground. McShane ended his run of missed goals by adding the extras.

But Hull came back with a try four minutes later when Jordan Lane was sent over the whitewash by Jamie Shaul. Sneyd’s conversion closed Castleford’s lead to six points.

Hull scored three tries in the game but it was not enough to get anything out of the game

Castleford made it an eight-point game when they were awarded a penalty 17 minutes from time. With three missed kicks to his name, McShane handed the kicking duties to Jordan Rankin who split the uprights with his kick to make it 26-18.

Needing to score twice to rescue anything from the game, Hull were unable to threaten the visitors’ line in the closing stages of the game.